Thursday, April 14, 2011

jueves

In less…cultural news, Shelby has a Cuban boyfriend, which I think is hilarious, and from which we all benefit as he introduced us to all of his friends. Actually, I guess that is a cultural feat, because now we have a fairly established Cuban friend group. His name is Rey, which in Spanish means king, so naturally, I call him King. He doesn’t speak English, so not only does she have a Cuban boyfriend, but her Spanish is progressing faster than all of ours and she gets to wash clothes at his house. I really miss a washing machine. Last weekend, Shelby and I suited up and went to a concert at the University, which had an atmosphere strangely similar to Greek Fest in ttown …with obvious (political) differences. Rey took us, so I was enjoying being the third wheel until his cousin Laura showed up, who turned out to be my soul-mate, despite the giant language barrier and minor details like that. The four of us frolicked around the blocked-off city streets, but not too much because it was incredibly crowded and because we were the only non-Cubans in sight, which summoned much attention…as always. So, being socially savvy, Shelby and I thought it would be in our best interest to pretend not to be Americans, which is just always counterproductive. After partaking in a few revolutionary chants, we decided it was too crowded and too sweaty, so we pushed our way toward the Malecon. Didn’t see our soap opera friends there, but bought some peanuts and honey and popcorn instead and called it a night.
Laura and I at Casa de Balear – where we go for $.50 mojitos.

No comments:

Post a Comment