Tuesday, April 12, 2011

martes

Cuba week was a success, although we did have some English lapses. The money situation was not difficult at all, and in fact, I’ve been spending pretty much the same amount since then. Beans at every meal…my life is complete.


I’m trying to motivate myself to actually write this blog post, as the thought of summing up everything that has happened in the past month gets more ominous with every passing blogless day. Also trying to differentiate between culturally significant stories to write about, and digressions away from these stories that tend to creep in all the time. Whenever I try to journal about something we’ve done, I end up going on tangent about food. Need to organize my thoughts. So, I guess I’ll go ahead and falsely measure the past month with a list of some exciting things we’ve done. Is anyone reading this? Mom? Anyone feel free to inquire further on any of these, or let me know what you want to hear about. So here are some cultural outings:


La Fería – a huge outdoor once-a-month market with food vendors, fruits and veggies, jewelry, pig heads, etc.


El Ballet Nacional de Cuba – National Cuban Ballet


Varadero – small beach town on the north coast


El Museo de Ron – Havana Club Rum Museum


Fábrica de Cigarros – Cigar Factory


Canon shot


Zoologico y Jardines Botanicas – the Havana zoo and botanical gardens.


Casa de José Marti – house where he grew up in La Habana Vieja


1831 – an old jail renovated into a discotec


Playa de Giron – Bay of Pigs


Batabanó – small town south of Havana where trudged through forest and then ate lobster in a stranger's house.


More details on those to come, and will try to be better about updates in the next month.

1 comment:

  1. Just happened to check your blog--and well, all I can say is thank you. Can't believe it has been updated for a full day without my perusal. However, being past my bedtime I will have to wait until the morning to study each and every word and make my comments. One quick note-reading about you washing the beans or chopping tomatoes and onions really makes me smile and remember Nana--and as I drift of into restful slumber, I am sure my dreams will be sweet and I remember my two favorite people.

    ReplyDelete