Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Soroa

A few weekends ago, we took a day trip out to the pueblo of Soroa. Climbing down about a million swerving steps carved into the mountain, we made it to a waterfall, where we sat and admired it like well-behaved tourists for a while before we had our fill of good conduct and decided to scale the slippery rocks to go swimming. Then we climbed back up the million swerving steps with wet shoes, back to where the van was parked. Catching our breath and leaving Profe at the base camp, we set of for the highest peak, a 300 meter…hill. It wasn’t exactly a gradual rise in elevation though, so on the 30 minute hike up, I hit my week’s exercise quota. The little platform at the top, called a “mirador,” offered a beautiful panorama of western Cuba’s lush countryside, all the way to the northern and southern coasts of the island. We were the only ones there except for a man sprawled out on some rocks selling coconuts. Best job ever.



Drinking coconut water and doing yoga on a mountaintop, one of the highlights of the trip thus far:



Climbing down in half the time it took to get up, we had lunch in a little hut and set off for the orecería: orchid farm. I’ve been fascinated with orchids since reading “The Orchid Thief” a few years ago. Although, perhaps my fascination is not with the orchids themselves, but the community of crazy orchid breeders and the extremes they go to. Didn’t see any crazies at this place, but the flowers were pretty. I took lots of useless flower pictures and someone took a photo of me:

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad someone took a snapshot of you--I sometimes forget what you look like! Great shorts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I now have the photo I will use when we eventually sponsor an engagement party for you.

    ReplyDelete